America Online, Inc. today announced that more than 2.2 million members accessed [email protected] in the month of October, according to Nielsen/NetRatings. AOL Music has also introduced new programming to enhance the popular [email protected], which now offers members more than 100 stations of music, news, sports and entertainment.
[email protected] is AOL’s first built-in radio service and a marquee feature of AOL 7.0, the new version of the AOL Service which launched October 16.
“[email protected] is a major breakthrough for making online music mainstream,” said Kevin Conroy, Senior Vice President and General Manager of AOL Music. “We are thrilled with members’ enthusiasm for this new product and their tremendous feedback. The launch of new programming will further enrich [email protected] and strengthen its role in making it even easier for consumers to discover, experience and buy music online.”
Appealing to a Diverse Range of Tastes
Some of the most popular [email protected] stations since its launch include: Top Pop, Top Jams, Awesome80s, XtremeAltRock, Love Songs, 90s Country, Oldies, and Trance, reflecting the diversity of AOL members tastes and preferences and a wide range of selections to satisfy them.
Another popular station on [email protected] is New Ground, AOL’s recently re-launched weekly new music show hosted by Chris Douridas. New Ground features the best new music in current release along with exclusive interviews and live performances from established, and up-and-coming new artists. Recent guests include, Angie Stone, Garbage and Jewel – in a live acoustic set of songs from her chart-topping album, This Way. New Ground is broadcast live each week from Los Angeles’ renowned public radio station, KCRW, and available online exclusively on [email protected] and Spinner.com. For more information visit AOL Keyword: New Ground.
[email protected] is reached easily from the radio button built into the toolbar of the new AOL 7.0, as well as from AOL’s Music channel (AOL Keyword: Music), and via AOL Keyword: Radio. Its easy-to-use design features play and volume controls; station, current artist and track information; and a convenient buy button that gives consumers the ability to easily purchase music as they listen.
Expanded Variety of Audio Programming
As [email protected] Continues To Evolve, AOL Music Has Introduced New Audio Programming To Enhance A Rich Selection Of Stations Spanning All Genres:
- More Celebrity DJs join [email protected]’s line up of leading artists in the Country, Classic, Rock, Rap and Pop genres including Creed, Garth Brooks, Ludacris, Phillip Glass, and Shelby Lynne, and December’s Artist of the Month, Kid Rock. This week rock legend, Mick Jagger, makes his online radio debut with an exclusive [email protected] interview and station.
- Get Into the Holiday Spirit as [email protected] offers all the seasonal favorites in the “Holiday Music” genre with nine new stations spanning diverse musical styles including – Classic Holiday, Country Holiday, Eclectic Holiday, Jazz holiday, Klezmer, Pop Holiday, R&B Holiday, Rock Holiday and World Holiday.
- Celebrate the Best of 2001 as [email protected] offers a look back at the hottest new releases of the year 2001. Spanning Dance, R&B/Rap, Alternative, Pop and Jazz and more, eight Best of ’01 stations are available now for a limited time in “Soundtracks & More.”
- New Third Party Offerings adding to [email protected]’s range of third party programming:
- The American Roots station, based on PBS’s popular series, traces the development of uniquely American music genres during the 20th century, including Blues, Country, Gospel, Bluegrass, Cajun, Zydeco, Western Swing, Tejano and Native American.
- ChannelOne.com, is a station that reflects the vitality of an online community that brings together young people from around the globe. Featured music includes some of the hottest Pop, Rock and Hip-Hop, voted on by teens.