The National have dropped their fourth and final single pulled from their forthcoming full-length, First Two Pages of Frankenstein. Their group’s latest single, “Your Mind is Not Your Friend” is an enthralling ballad featuring Phoebe Bridgers and includes an accompanying music video. Through vocalist Matt Berninger’s wistful vocal delivery layered with Bridgers’ delicate whispers, “Your Mind is Not Your Friend” confronts mental health’s entanglements head-on creating an ethereal aura around the track.
In a press release, Berninger explained how the track was created after suffering from a period of writer’s block. “When I feel stuck, I’ll often grab a book off the shelf just to get some words in my head, and the first two pages of Frankenstein ended up triggering ‘Your Mind Is Not Your Friend,’” Berninger recalls. “The book starts off with the narrator on a voyage near the Arctic Circle, and that image of being adrift helped me to write about feeling disconnected and lost and lacking in purpose. Once I started confronting that strange, blurry panic of not having ideas, everything began to crack open a bit.”
The National fans will recognize Berninger’s brother, Tom, in the video for “Your Mind is Not Your Friend” as he also starred in the band’s 2014 film, Mistaken For Strangers. Extending the same familial connection to Bridgers, “Your Mind is Not Your Friend” was directed by the singer’s brother, Jackson Bridgers. You can watch the full video for “Your Mind is Not Your Friend” below.
In addition to tackling the subject of mental health across the track, The National will be making a donation to TinyChanges.org, the charity established in honor of the late Frightened Rabbit vocalist Scott Hutchison who tragically took his own life in May 2018. “Scott made tiny changes that had a big impact,” The National penned on the charity’s website. “His honesty and openness about his own mental health inspired people from all walks of life.”
Following the release of their forthcoming album, First Two Pages of Frankenstein, which arrives on April 28 via 4AD, the band will hit the road for a massive tour that runs through May and extends into October. You can check out all of their current tour dates below and get tickets here to see The National live.
- May 18—Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre *
- May 19—Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre *
- May 20—Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre *
- May 21—Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre *
- May 23—Washington, DC @ The Anthem *
- May 24—Washington, DC @ The Anthem *
- May 26—Boston, MA @ Boston Calling Festival
- May 28—Napa, CA @ Bottlerock Festival
- May 30—Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre *
- May 31—Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre *
- June 2—Troutdale, OR @ McMenamins Edgefield *
- June 3—Troutdale, OR @ McMenamins Edgefield *
- June 4—Redmond, WA @ Marymoor Park *
- June 5—Burnaby, BC, Canada @ Festival Lawn at Deer Lake Park *
- Aug. 1—Philadelphia, PA @ The Met Philadelphia ~
- Aug. 2—Philadelphia, PA @ The Met Philadelphia ~
- Aug. 3—New Haven, CT @ Westville Music Bowl ~
- Aug. 5—Montreal, PQ @ Osheaga Festival
- Aug. 7—Detroit, MI @ The Fillmore Detroit ~
- Aug. 8—Madison, WI @ The Sylvee ~
- Aug. 9—Minneapolis, MN @ The Armory ~
- Aug. 11—Denver, CO @ Mission Ballroom ~
- Aug. 12—Denver, CO @ Mission Ballroom ~
- Aug. 15—Nashville, TN @ Ascend Amphitheater ~
- Aug. 16—Atlanta, GA @ Cadence Bank Amphitheatre at Chastain Park ~
- Aug. 18—New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden w/ special guest Patti Smith and her band
- Aug. 20—Toronto, ON @ Budweiser Stage w/ special guest Patti Smith and U.S. Girls
- Sept. 21—Dublin, IRE @ 3 Arena *
- Sept. 23—Leeds, UK @ First Direct Arena *
- Sept. 24—Glasgow, UK @ OVO Hydro Arena *
- Sept. 26—London, UK @ Alexandra Palace *
- Sept. 27—London, UK @ Alexandra Palace *
- Sept. 29—Amsterdam, NL @ Ziggo Dome ^
- Sept. 30—Berlin, DE @ Max-Schmeling-Halle ^
- Oct. 1—Munich, DE @ Zenith ^
- Oct. 4—Madrid, ES @ WiZink Center ^
- Oct. 5—Porto, PT @ Super Bock Arena ^
- Oct. 6—Lisbon, PT @ Campo Pequeno ^
*Soccer Mommy to support.
~The Beths to support.
^ Bartees Strange to support.