As anticipation builds for their eagerly-awaited third album, RUCKUS!, to arrive on August 18, Movements continues to bewitch fans with their latest offering, “Tightrope.” The band has been steadily building excitement with the release of three singles, including “Fail You,” “Killing Time,” and “Lead Pipe,” leading up to the album drop.
“Tightrope” takes listeners on a soul-stirring, nearly five-minute journey through its melancholic pop ballad structure, drawing inspiration from icons such as Justin Bieber. The song kicks off with a hauntingly pensive arrangement that sets a somber tone, reminiscent of introspective pop melodies. As the track unfolds, Movements‘ lead vocalist, Patrick Miranda, delivers intoxicating, elongated coos that carry a sense of vulnerability that will refuse to loosen their grip over your heart.
The song’s commanding percussion takes charge, propelling the rhythm with unwavering force and laying a firm groundwork for the track’s evolution. The mesmerizing guitar work weaves its intricate patterns, infusing the music with layers of depth and texture, ultimately cultivating a captivating shoegaze tonality that amplifies the song’s atmospheric allure. With each passing note and line, the intensity steadily surges, engulfing listeners in a torrent of emotions that’ll lift you to an out-of-body experience.
“‘Tightrope,’ in some ways, can be seen as the furthest departure we’ve taken from our sound thus far,” Miranda shares of the group’s latest release. “It lives in a sort of ‘sonic in-between’ of alternative rock, emo, and ballad pop yet there’s still a familiarity that rings true to Movements‘ bread and butter. We pulled inspiration from all over the place on this one—Justin Bieber-esque pop melodies, Snow Patrol ballad-y instrumentals, and even some drum ‘n’ bass style breakbeats. It’s a weird mashup of shit that ended up turning into something really beautiful. At the end of the day, we’re a band whose most popular song is a soft singalong. We’re hoping ‘Tightrope’ might finally be the song to take its place at the top.”
One of the standout elements of “Tightrope” is the juxtaposition of Miranda’s soft-spoken vocals with his enthralling falsetto. This contrast creates a captivating dynamic, amplifying the emotional impact of the lyrics, “Don’t remind me I could never be it/. As the song closes out, the lyrics and soft fade of the instrumentals evoke a sense of longing and aloneness.
The convergence of the transfixing instrumentals, Miranda’s resonant delivery, and the arresting lyrical themes culminate in a powerful and immersive experience that transcends mere exposure to a new song. But don’t take our word for it—check out Movements’ new single and video for “Tightrope” below.
Get ready for an incredible tour experience this September and October as Movements take the stage across their fall headline tour, accompanied by talented acts including Mannequin Pussy, Softcult, and Heart To Gold.
- Sept. 7—Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Palladium
- Sept. 8—Phoenix, AZ @ Marquee Theatre
- Sept. 9—Albuquerque, NM @ El Rey Theater
- Sept. 10—El Paso, TX @ Lowbrow Palace (Outdoor)
- Sept. 12—Houston, TX @ House of Blues
- Sept. 13—Austin, TX @ Emo’s
- Sept. 15—Atlanta, GA @ Center Stage Theater
- Sept. 16—Tampa, FL @ The Ritz Ybor
- Sept. 18—Asheville, NC @ Orange Peel
- Sept. 19—Nashville, TN @ Brooklyn Bowl
- Sept. 21—Louisville, KY @ Louder Than Life Festival^
- Sept. 22—Pittsburgh, PA @ Roxian Theatre
- Sept. 23—Philadelphia, PA @ The Fillmore#
- Sept. 24—Worcester, MA @ Palladium
- Sept. 26—Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- Sept. 27—Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Steel
- Sept. 29—Columbus, OH @ King of Clubs
- Sept. 30—Chicago, IL @ Concord Music Hall
- Oct. 3—Lawrence, KS @ Granada Theater
- Oct. 5—Denver, CO @ Summit
- Oct. 6—Salt Lake City, UT @ Soundwell
- Oct. 8—Sacramento, CA @ Aftershock Festival*
- Oct. 10—Seattle, WA @ Neptune Theater
- Oct. 11—Portland, OR @ Wonder Ballroom
- Oct. 13—Santa Cruz, CA @ The Catalyst
- Oct. 14—Anaheim, CA @ House of Blues
^Movements and Mannequin Pussy only.
#Without Mannequin Pussy.