Apparently the pop princess came pretty darn close to burning down-well, not the house-but a New York City apartment building a few days ago. The tidbit comes courtesy of the latest edition of Lynne’s Corner, a diary written by Spears’ mom that appears on the singer’s Website, BritneySpears.com.
According to Ma Spears’ weekly update, published Wednesday, Britney nearly torched the apartment she was staying in by leaving a candle burning while she and a pal went out.
Spears was in town for a four-day vacation with one of her friends (identified only as “Jenny” on the Website). The two spent the time hopscotching around Manhattan, taking in the best that teenybopper stardom can buy.
“They shopped every day!” reports Ma Spears.
One night, the twosome joined Britney’s older brother, Bryan, and his friend Lauren for a night on the town. (Presumably they went to alcohol-free clubs, because Britney doesn’t turn 21 until December.)
But Britney spaced and forgot to snuff a candle.
“Brit had left a candle burning in front of an air vent,” Lynne Spears recounts. “The wall caught on fire, and the fire department had to come to put it out.”
(Almost like that episode of Happy Days when Arnold’s diner goes up in flames).
When Britney and buddies returned, says Lynne, “they all came [home] to a real mess!”
While the damage wasn’t extensive, it was a case of oops!-I-did-it-again for the budding pyro.
Spears’ mother reveals that Britney’s candle fetish sparked an earlier fire in the family’s Louisiana home. Lynne Spears says her famous kid somehow set her bathroom aflame with a misplaced candle.
“She has really learned a lesson this time,” says the Spears matriarch. “I love candles, too, and I have to remind myself to really be cautious with them.”
When not torching edifices with rogue candles, Britney is getting ready for a summer tour of North America. The 30-date trek, in support of her third album, Britney, kicks off May 24 in Las Vegas and ends July 22 in Dallas.