Dido, whose RIAA triple-platinum debut album NO ANGEL has just logged its 55th week on the Billboard 200 Album chart, where it remains the longest-running title inside the top 30, has embarked on her 2nd annual headlining summer tour of North America.
The festival-type tour of predominately outdoor venues stars Dido, Scottish group Travis, and Icelandic songbird Emiliana Torrini on the main stage, with various others on the second stage. The itinerary began last Sunday in Vancouver and wraps at XCEL Arena in Minneapolis on July 8th. (Please see initial tour dates below, with additional dates to be announced.)
While in Vancouver prior to the opening of the tour, Dido completed the video shoot for “Hunter,” the latest single from NO ANGEL, whose global sales are approaching the 9 million mark. The new clip was directed by Matthew Rolston and produced by Skot Bradford. Fashion photographer Rolston’s recent videos include Destiny Child’s “Bootylicious” and Mandy Moore’s “In My Pocket,” as well as clips for Garbage (“I Think I’m Paranoid”), Lenny Kravitz (“Thinking Of You”) and Janet Jackson (“Everytime”).
“Hunter” follows-up “Thank You” (which peaked at #1 on Billboard’s Mainstream AC Monitor last week) and its predecessor “Here With Me,” theme song of the WB’s popular sci-fi tv series, Roswell. “Thank You” achieved pop immortality last year when it was ‘sampled’ on Eminem’s “Stan,” a track from his multi-platinum, multi-Grammy generating album The Marshall Mathers LP. Later in the year, Dido was featured in the “Stan” video. “Here With Me,” which was first added at radio back on July 26, 1999(!), was subsequently featured on Arista’s original motion picture soundtrack album for the Miramax film, Bounce, starring Ben Affleck and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Dido co-wrote and co-produced all of the songs on NO ANGEL, which was issued in-store on June 1, 1999(!). Its debut week found the album in the hands of 2,185 knowing Soundscan consumers. Exactly one year later, charted at #166 in Billboard, the album’s one-week total scanned in at a humble 8,047 copies. Today, the album is selling in excess of 40,000 copies each week and will surpass the RIAA quadruple-platinum level by late-summer.
“Her music feels just about perfect,”, wrote Interview magazine. TIME describes her debut as filled with “dreamy pop, electronic shadings, folk guitars and soulful vocals”; while the Washington Post reports on her live show, “Dido soars like a goddess…she is headed for the top.”
DIDO North American Summer Tour
- June 10 Vancouver, B.C. General Motors Place
- June 11 Seattle, WA Key Arena
- June 13 San Francisco, CA Shoreline Amphitheatre
- June 16 Irvine, CA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
- June 17 San Diego, CA Coors Amphitheatre
- June 18 Las Vegas, NV Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- June 20 Atlanta, GA Lakewood Amphitheatre
- June 22 Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavilion
- June 24 Boston, MA Tweeter Center
- June 25 Holmdel, NJ PNC Arts Center
- June 27 Wantagh, NY Jones Beach Amphitheatre
- June 28 Cleveland, OH Blossom Music Center
- June 29 Camden, NJ Sony E Center
- July 1 Hartford, CT Oakdale Theatre
- July 2 Buffalo, NY Darien Lake PAC
- July 4 Toronto, Ont. Molson Amphitheatre
- July 5 Detroit, MI Pine Knob – DTE Music Theatre
- July 6 Chicago, IL Rosemont Theater
- July 8 Minneapolis, MN XCEL Arena