Britney Spears kicked off the 2001 Billboard Awards in Las Vegas on Tuesday with a very wet performance of “I’m a Slave 4 U” on a stage inside the fountains of the Bellagio Hotel.
While Spears came on strong, she went home empty-handed. After the awards were handed out at the MGM Grand, the big winners of the night were Destiny’s Child and R. Kelly.
The “Bootylicious” trio took home five awards, including a second straight win for Artist of the Year. They also got a nod for Hot 100 Singles Artist of the Year and Soundtrack Single of the Year for “Independent Women Part 1” from “Charlie’s Angels.”
R. Kelly surpassed the Independent Women when he snagged six trophies total, all in R&B/hip-hop categories.
Also presented with multiple awards were Alicia Keys, Creed, Shaggy, Tim McGraw and Lifehouse.
The Billboard Awards are based on the magazine’s year-end charts, which will appear in the December 29 issue.
The List Of Winners At The 2001 Billboard Awards:
- Artist of the Year – Destiny’s Child
- Male Artist of the Year – Shaggy
- Female Artist of the Year – Alicia Keys
- Catalog Artist of the Year – Creed
- Artist of the Year, Duo/Group – Destiny’s Child
- Male New Artist of the Year – Lifehouse
- Female New Artist of the Year – Alicia Keys