Pop-punk fans looking for an incentive to get them off their butts during the dreary winter months ahead are about to get a swift kick in the pants from Sum 41. The Ontario quartet have chosen “Motivation” as the third single off their debut album, All Killer No Filler. The track, which follows the previous singles “Fat Lip” and “In Too Deep,” is expected to surface in mid-January, according to an Island Records spokesperson.
For the video, the group forwent the services of Marc Klasfeld (Alien Ant Farm, Jay-Z), who helmed the album’s previous clips, in favor of superAmerica (Ronan Keating, Samantha Mumba). The clip, shot in Los Angeles in late November, is mostly performance-based, with members Deryck Whibley, Dave Baksh, Cone and Stevo 32 stomping out the peppy lament in an attic bedroom, a scenario that can’t be too different from what the bandmembers experienced themselves prior to releasing their maiden offering, 2000’s Half Hour of Power EP.
After a recent stint of radio-sponsored shows in December, the group is taking some time off at home with family and friends before hitting the road again. A two-week stretch with San Diego skate-punks Unwritten Law and Vancouver quartet Gob is scheduled to begin January 15 in Denver. From there they’ll head to Japan and then Germany and the United Kingdom to make good on dates postponed in the wake of September’s terrorist attacks.
Sum 41 Tour Dates, According To Island Records:
- 1/15 – Denver, CO – Ogden Theatre
- 1/16 – Salt Lake City, UT – Utah State Fairpark
- 1/18 – Las Vegas, NV – House of Blues
- 1/19 – Tucson, AZ – The Rialto
- 1/20 – Tempe, AZ – Club Rio
- 1/23 – Hollywood, CA – Hollywood Palladium
- 1/25 – La Jolla, CA – RIMAC Arena
- 1/26 – San Francisco, CA – The Warfield
- 1/28 – Boise, ID – Big Easy
- 1/29 – Seattle, WA – Paramount Theatre
- 1/30 – Portland, OR – Roseland Theatre