Leading up to the 2004 date targeted for the release of his sixth album, Ben Folds will release a three-EP series of new material online.
The first set, Speed Graphic, will be available starting tomorrow at Folds’ Web site, attackedbyplastic.com. The set features a cover of the Cure’s “In Between Days” as well as four new songs, “Protection,” “Dog,” “Wandering” and “Give Judy My Notice.”
The second EP, called Sunny 16, will be ready in September, and the third, yet-to-be-titled set is scheduled for November.
The point of the EPs? “I have twenty-four hour access to a studio now,” Folds said, “so I’m using it. Quietly releasing my music as EPs allows me to get it out there as I finish it, with a minimum of hype. It won’t be sold in the big-ass chains, because that puts the price up and starts the big-ass machinery – press, radio etc. Then I have to pose naked at the piano, and really, I’m not a piece of meat, you know.”
Folds will also sell the EPs at stops on the Lottapianos tour, which kicks off July 26th outside Seattle and also features Tori Amos. The two have confirmed dates through a September 5th stop in Oklahoma City.
Ben Folds/Tori Amos Tour Dates:
- 7/26 – Redmond, WA, Marymoor Amphitheater
- 7/27 – Eugene, OR, Cuthbert Amphitheater
- 7/29 – Concord, CA, Chronicle Pavillion
- 7/31 – Las Vegas, The Joint
- 8/1 – Los Angeles, Greek Theater
- 8/2 – San Diego, SDSU Open Air Theater
- 8/4 – Phoenix, Dodge Theater
- 8/5 – Tucson, Anselmo Valencio Amphitheater
- 8/7 – Morrison, CO, Red Rocks Amphitheater
- 8/9 – Minneapolis, Northrop Auditorium
- 8/10 – Chicago, Chicago Auditorium Theater
- 8/13 – Toronto, Molson Amphitheater
- 8/15 – Rochester Hills, MI, Meadowbrook Music Festival
- 8/16 – Cleveland, Tower City Amphitheater
- 8/17 – Canandaigua, NY, Finger Lakes P.A.C.
- 8/22 – Holmdel, NJ, PNC Bank Arts Center
- 8/23 – Wantagh, NY, Jones Beach Theater
- 8/24 – Boston, FleetBoston Pavillion
- 8/26 – Camden, NJ, Tweeter Waterfront Center
- 8/27 – Columbia, MD, Merriweather Post Pavillion
- 8/28 – Virginia Beach, VA, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
- 8/30 – Raleigh, NC, Alltel Pavilion at Walnut Creek
- 8/31 – North Charleston, SC, North Charleston Coliseum
- 9/1 – Atlanta, Chastain Park
- 9/3 – Orlando, UCF Arena
- 9/4 – West Palm Beach, FL, Sound Advice Amphitheater
- 9/5 – Oklahoma City, Lewis Field