Mariah Carey Postpones Television Interview

By | September 6, 2001 at 12:00 AM

Pop star Mariah Carey, who was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown last month, has postponed an ABC television interview she had been scheduled to give this week, network officials said Wednesday.

The interview with Barbara Walters, which was due to air Sept. 12 on the ABC news magazine show “20/20,” has been put off indefinitely, an ABC spokesman said.

A statement from ABC quoted the singer’s publicist, Cindi Berger, as saying Carey, 31, “needs more time to rest.”

Walters said in a statement, “We were concerned to hear that Ms. Carey would be unable to do the interview at this time, and we wish her well.”

Carey, one of America’s most successful female solo artists with more than a dozen No. 1 singles, was released from a Connecticut hospital Aug. 7 after undergoing two weeks of treatment for what her publicists described as an “emotional and physical breakdown.”

Two days later, her Virgin Records label said it had delayed the release of her new album, “Glitter,” the first under a lucrative new contract, for three weeks.

The album doubles as the soundtrack for an upcoming movie of the same name which stars Carey. The opening of the film, from 20th Century Fox, was recently pushed back by three weeks to Sept. 21.

Related Content