U.S. rapper Kanye West and British rocker Rod Stewart have been added to the lineup of artists performing at a July 1 concert to mark the 10th anniversary of
Princess Diana’s death in a car crash.
Diana’s sons, princes William and Harry, are organizing the event at London’s Wembley stadium, and officials said Harry, due to go to Iraq in the coming weeks to serve in the army, would probably be allowed leave to return for it.
“I’ve been advised that the commanding officer is likely to grant him leave for a short period of time,” the concert’s project director Geoffrey Matthews told reporters on Thursday.
Also added to the list of performers at the same briefing were Lily Allen, Natasha Bedingfield, The Feeling, James Morrison, Orson and Status Quo.
They will join previously announced acts including Elton John, who sang a special version of his hit “Candle In the
Wind” at Diana’s funeral, Duran Duran, Bryan Ferry, Joss Stone and Pharrell Williams.
Media commentators have said the concert is in danger of being overshadowed by a series of Live Earth environmental gigs being held around the world six days later.
Madonna, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Black Eyed Peas have already committed to the July 7 events.
But Matthews played down the concerns.
“It’s not healthy to compare the two events: they are completely different,” he said.